Monday, June 20, 2011

St George trip - Silver City

A few weeks ago we took a family trip to St George. We were lucky enough that Dave's mom had to go there for a doctor appt so we took her down and made a trip of it. I have lots of pictures from the trip so I am separating them by days so the posts don't have to be so long. This is the day we left.. We drove the back way through Delta and and down that way, not getting on the free way until Cedar City. On our way we passed the old mining town where Dave's grandma Larson was raised. His Great Grandpa worked in the mines in the little town of Silver City and actually died of black lung disease from working in the mines. So we stopped in there and checked it out. It was fun seeing the remains of some of the buildings and a big mine shaft.


Dave showing Caden down the shaft.. Hes not as close as he looks. Trust me I wouldn't let him get too close. Me and Dave looked down there and I couldn't believe how deep it was. I couldn't see the bottom!



The kids standing in front of the deep shaft. Briggs missed out though-he was asleep in the car.


The kids loved looking for the shiny rocks. We imagined grandma Larson running around on the same hills when she was little like them! It was fun to see.

I didn't get a picture and I'm totally bumbed I didn't- but we went to the Eureka cemetery and saw the headstone of Grandma Larson's sister who died as a baby and was buried there. It was fun to see it and to learn about grandma Larson and a little about her family. Susan- you will have to correct me if any of that info is wrong.. we all know I don't have the best memory!!

1 comment:

  1. Your memory is pretty darn good. It was a fun trip and thanks for taking me.

    ReplyDelete